Changes in Circumstance

What changes do you need to report and how

If your circumstances change you must tell us immediately as it can affect how much benefit you are entitled to and result in you being overpaid.

If you are of pensionable age, you must report any changes in your circumstance to the Pension Service.

If you do not tell us about a change within one month from the date the change happened, you may lose out on any increase in benefit that is due.

Remember, you can use the online calculator on our web site for an estimate of how much benefit you may be entitled to based on your new circumstances.

Shown below are some examples of changes we need to know about. Not every example is listed so if you are not sure tell us about the change anyway and give us as much information as possible.

Changes to your Benefits - If you or your partner has started receiving a new benefit or the amount you receive has changed you need to tell us:

  • What new benefit you are getting
  • When you started getting it
  • How much it is and the date of increase

A new job - If you have started a new job you need to tell us:

  • Where you are working
  • What date you started work
  • How much you earn
  • How often you get paid.

Changes to your capital - If the amount of any savings or investments you hold has changed you need to tell us:

  • The date your savings and / or investments changed
  • The new balance of the savings and / or investments

People moving out of your property - When someone leaves you should tell us:

  • Who has moved out
  • The date they moved out
  • Where they have moved to
  • How long they will be away for

People coming to stay with you - When someone moves into your property you should tell us:

  • The names and dates of birth of who has come to stay
  • The date they moved in
  • Whether they work or not
  • Details of their income

If your change relates to the death of someone within the household please let us know:

  • The name of the person who has died
  • The date that they died

Information on the Council Tax and what to do when someone dies.

What should you do if your circumstances have changed?

There are four ways to report a change in circumstances:

Complete our online change in circumstances form.

  1. Telephone our benefit helpline number on 01785 619478 (this is only available if you wish to cancel your claim)
  2. Call in to see us
  3. Write to us at:

The Benefit Service, Stafford Borough Council, Civic Centre, Riverside, Stafford, Staffordshire. ST16 3AQ.

What happens next?

  • Depending on the nature of the change we may suspend your claim to avoid you being overpaid
  • If we have all the information and / or evidence we need we will process the change in line with our performance standards. 
  • If we need any further information we will contact you by phone and in writing.

Housing and/or Council Tax Benefit Application Form


If you are going into hospital you should immediately notify the Department of Work and Pensions and the Benefit Service at Stafford Borough Council.

This is important as in most cases your benefit entitlement will have to be reassessed to take account of your new circumstances. Most benefits are reduced during a stay in hospital usually after either four or six weeks. 

If you were not claiming any form of benefit prior to entering hospital you may now be entitled to claim.

When you come out of hospital you should notify the Department of Work and Pensions and Stafford Borough Council Benefits Service.

This is important as you will need to have your claim reassessed when you return home. You may also be entitled to other benefits if you have become disabled as a result of your illness.

To find out if the benefit you are claiming is affected by a stay in hospital or if there are any other benefits that you may be entitled to please contact us. 

Tel: 01785 619478
Fax: 01785 619219
How do you rate this page?