The Council has a number of policies and procedures in place to promote sustainable development and improve environmental management.
It has received recognition for a wealth of successful initiatives and programs, in the past achieving 1st, 2nd and 3rd position in the West Midlands Local Authority Index of Environmental Engagement. Recently performed well in a benchmarking exercise undertaken by Sustainability West Midlands, relating to action to address climate change. In all areas assessed by the benchmark, activity in Stafford was notably greater than that reported for the West Midlands on average and “The Council provided numerous examples of good practice in all aspects assessed by the benchmark”.
Work relating to sustainable development, climate change and environmental management at the Council is guided by a series of plans and strategies, including the Corporate Plan and the Environmental Management Action Plan.
The list below gives a number of key documents and relevant reports which relate to sustainable development action at the Council, plus links to national government policy:
- Environmental Management Action Plan (pdf 363kb)
- Stafford Borough Biodiversity Strategy (pdf 2mb)
- Climate Change Adaptation Plan 2012-2015 (pdf 5mb)
- West Midlands Local Authority Low Carbon Economy Programme 'West Midlands Local Authority Benchmark', November 2013 (pdf 904kb)
Work at the local authority and grassroots level aims to tie in with action, policy and support at the national level. For further Information visit the 'Sustainable Development in Government' website.
Here are some of our initiatives:
- Solar Panels at the Civic Centre
- Cycle parking at Riverway Nursery
- Cycling facilities, boosted at Civic Centre
- Solar power at Riverway Nursery