Eco-Action Day is an annual event organised by us as part of the Stafford Borough Eco-Schools Network. Each year we receive super support from Staffordshire Wildlife Trust.
The event aims to celebrate and thank the fantastic efforts of children, staff and helpers, who work hard to be eco-friendly throughout their schools all year.
It aims to be both educational - and lots of fun - and we always try to ensure there is a really super schedule lined up with some amazing workshops.
Eco-Action Day 4 July 2017
13 schools and around 135 children enjoyed Eco-Action Day this year. It’s one of the highlights of the year for the Stafford Borough Eco-Schools Network, supported by Stafford Borough Council.
This year we had a really super schedule lined up - including a production by the rip-roaringly funny ‘Momo Theatre’ looking at ‘Bikes, Buses and Going Green!’. There was a workshop entitled ‘All About Birds and Mini-Beasts!’ where children had the chance to make a nest box, create their own Bird Identification Dials as well as construct a giant sized birds nest! Lastly, an aptly named session called ‘Wet and Willowy’ was our unique and inspirational third workshop, consisting of willow weaving, creating willow crafts and pond dipping.
There was also a litter free healthy lunch competition, an opportunity to contribute to our new felt-crafted ‘Eco-Schools Network Banner’ and fun to be had in the ‘Willow Hoopla Championships!’
We had a great team of leaders and organisers from Stafford Borough Council, Staffordshire Wildlife Trust plus help from Mark and his apprentices from Perkins Engines Ltd, Nigel our willow weaver and Philippa Wilson, retired teacher and eco-volunteer.
Eco-Action Day Evaluation Report for 2017 (pdf 600kb)
Quotes from schools
- ‘Brilliant! Super production by Momo Theatre, very enjoyable and professional’
- ‘The human size nest building activity was probably one of highlights of the day for our group!'
- ‘We love our willow-weaved fish! Pond dipping also popular’
- 'Thank you for organising a super day. We really enjoyed it. Can’t wait for next years'
- ‘We had lots of positive feedback from the parents as well, after the children had gone home talking about the event. Thank you’
More Eco-Action day photos (pdf 826kb)
Eco-Action Day 5 July 2016
This year's workshops included a fabulously funny theatre production ‘You’re Rubbish’ by Momo Theatre Company. There was also a workshop entitled ‘Mini-beasts and Meadows!’ which involved making cress caterpillars and exploring and investigating the meadows. Our third workshop was based on the theme ‘Nature’s Art’, which included working with clay, creating natural art features and making hand-prints for the Giant Earth. There was also a litter free healthy lunch competition and a super eco-goody bag to take home as a memento from the day - including two sets of litter pickers and gloves for every school.
Eco-Action Day Evaluation Report for 2016 (pdf 581kb)
Quotes from schools
- ‘Super production this year- enjoyed by both adults and children’.
- ‘I’ve learned so much about nature - the bug hunt was really good!’
- ‘The children had a brilliant day! They loved being outside and exploring. They particularly enjoyed the theatre show!’.
- 'The children all really enjoyed their day and have come back to school with many ideas that they want to put into action'.
- ‘The whole event was very well organised. The weather was kind. I enjoyed all the activities, especially the theatre, which I thought was superbly well done as well as getting the message across. I laughed until I cried and I wasn’t the only adult to do so!’
- ‘ …a well organised day with lots of engaging activities for the children to get involved in’.
- 'A very enjoyable day - thank you’.
More Eco-Action day photos (pdf 3.6mb)