Who has a priority need?
You may be considered as having a priority need if you:
- Have dependent children living with you
- Are pregnant or live with a pregnant woman
- Are aged 16 or 17
- Are under 21 and have been in care or fostered between the ages of 16 and 18
- Are vulnerable because you are elderly, have a physical or mental disability or suffer from a mental illness
- Are vulnerable due to spending time in care, the HM forces, prison or as a result of violence from another person
- Have lost your home through fire, flood or another emergency
What happens if I am found homeless and in priority need?
If we find that your are homeless and have a priority need we will help you to get re-housed in a Housing Association property or with a private landlord. If it is not possible to provide you with somewhere permanent to live straight away, we will offer you temporary accommodation in a bed and breakfast hostel.
If you refuse an offer of accommodation that was suitable for you and your family, we may decide that you no longer have the priority need.
What happens if I am found homeless but not in priority need?
If we find that you are homeless but do not have a priority need we can provide you with temporary accommodation for a reasonable amount of time and we will provide you with advice and assistance to help you find a permanent accommodation.
What happens if I am found homeless?
If we find that you made yourself homeless, by law, we do have to provide you with somewhere to live. We may in some cases provide you with temporary accommodation for a reasonable amount of time while you make arrangements to find your own accommodation. We will still continue to offer advice to help you do this.
Do I have a right to review the decision made?
If you are not happy with the homelessness decision we have made, you have the right to request a review. If you wish to request a review, you must write to us within 21 days from the date on your decision letter. We will then have up to 56 days to review your case and send a decision letter to you.