Skip to main content

Housing Advice - Support for Mortgage Interest Payments

    If you are a homeowner and are claiming certain income-related benefits, the 'Support for Mortgage Interest Scheme' may be able to help with your mortgage interest payments and interest on any loans you have taken out for repairs or improvements.

    Do I qualify?

    You may get help with mortgage interest payments as part of your benefits, if you are a homeowner and are receiving:

    • Income Support
    • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
    • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
    • Pension Credit

    How do I claim?

    You can apply through Jobcentre Plus and the Pension Service. If you are already receiving these benefits but are not getting any extra payments towards your housing costs, you can contact your local office for a form.

    When you apply for income support, income based Jobseeker's allowance or pension credit, you will need to include information about your mortgage and housing costs in order to get the extra payments. You will have to provide:

    • Proof of your income
    • Details of your financial situation
    • Any related paperwork

    How long do I have to wait before help starts?

    If you are over 60 and claiming pension credit, you are entitled to help immediately.  If you are eligible payments will normally start after 13 weeks. You should speak to your mortgage lender whilst waiting for these payments to start.

    How is it paid and how long for?

    Payments are usually made at the end of every four weeks, along with your other benefits. This is the case even if your mortgage payments are due on a monthly basis, so you may appear to be behind with payments. Speak to your mortgage lender to see if they can change your payment date.

    If you are receiving Jobseeker's allowance and you claimed after 5 January 2009, you will only be able to claim help with housing costs for up to two years. There is no time limit if you claimed before that date or are receiving income support, pension credit or income-related employment and support allowance.

    A to Z of Services