A licence is required before any person can drive a licensed private hire vehicle.
Before a licence is granted the applicant must satisfy the Council that:
- He/she is a fit and proper person to hold a licence;
- He/she is medically fit;
- He/she has held a full driver's licence (not a provisional licence) granted to the applicant under Part III of the Road Traffic Act 1972 authorising him/her to drive a motor car for at least twelve months prior to the date of the application;
- He/she must pass an enhanced Disclosure Barring Service Check (CRB) to ensure safety to the public
Once the application form has been completed, you need to make an appointment to visit our Offices, bringing with you the following documentation:
- The completed application form.
- Your DVLA Driving Licence (original - not a photocopy) showing your current address.
- Your passport or birth certificate.
- Two colour passport type photographs taken within the last month.
- Fee (see application pack below)
Applications will not be accepted without production of the above.
An application pack can be downloaded by clicking on the link below:
A Guide to Applying for a Disclosure (pdf 128kb)
The medical form needn't be completed at this stage. You may wait until the necessary checks have been returned to us and you have passed your topographical test. It is worth noting that, should you decide to withdraw your application for whatever reason, the fee paid by you to your GP is non-refundable. Therefore, it is entirely up to you to decide at which point during the application process that you have the medical.
Upon production of the forms at the licensing office, you will be asked to complete a form to enable us to check with the Criminal Records Bureau for any records held against you. Please be aware that we normally allow approximately up to 8 weeks from receipt of your application for return of these checks as this is the average time that they take.
Once your application has been accepted and the fee has been paid, an appointment will be made for you to sit the topographical test.
We look forward to receiving your application and if you have any difficulty with any of the forms or have any questions, please contact us on the above contact details.