Why is it so important to encourage more sustainable tourism?
- Tourism employs over 3 million people in the UK (that’s 9.6% of all jobs).
- One in twelve jobs in the UK is currently either directly or indirectly supported by tourism.
- Tourism was worth over £127 billion to the UK economy in 2013, equivalent to 9 per cent of UK Gross Domestic Product.
- Tourism is the UK’s third highest export earner.
- Tourism attracts around 30 million visitors to Britain each year.
- Since 2010 tourism has been the fastest growing sector in the UK in employment terms.
- Britain is forecast to have a tourism industry worth over £257 billion by 2025.
This scale of activity means there is potential for the tourism industry to have a major impact on our environment, heritage, culture and local communities, both positive and negative.
Stafford Borough Council is very keen to support 'Sustainable Tourism’. Past initiatives have included the popular ‘Sustainable Tourism Kit’.
Stafford Borough Council continues to support and promote sustainable tourism and tourism organisations can enter the new Community Awards to showcase good environmental practice (this is a new award which amalgamates the Green Awards and the Pride in Your Patch Awards).
‘Destination Staffordshire’ (a partnership of visitor attractions, accommodation, eating establishments, tourism businesses and local authorities working together to promote tourism in Staffordshire), has introduced the 'Staffordshire Environmental Quality Mark' to promote sustainability.
The ‘Staffordshire Environmental Quality Mark’ is an award presented to Staffordshire businesses that:
- Help to conserve and enhance the natural beauty, wildlife and cultural heritage of Staffordshire.
- Minimise their local and global environmental impact and help safeguard and protect natural resources.
- Help customers understand, enjoy and conserve the special qualities of Staffordshire.
- Play an active role in the economic and social wellbeing of local communities within Staffordshire as well as global communities.
Other county wide initiatives include the 'Taste of Staffordshire Awards', which encourage sustainable and local food production and healthy eating and the 'Sustainable Tourism Award' run by Enjoy Staffordshire.
Useful links include:
In and around Stafford Borough: superb opportunities for Cycling, Walking, enjoying our Wildlife and exploring Nature Conservation Sites.