Food Business - Registration

To store, prepare, distribute or sell food on premises or from home you need to be registered with Environmental Health. This means all premises including; restaurants, cafes, hotels, shops, canteens, market stalls, mobile catering vans, food delivery vans and domestic premises.

Before you start trading (at least 28 days prior) you need to:

  1. Contact Environmental and Health Services and register your business. You can also call us on 01785 619402.  You must register at least 28 days before you intend to open, you will be contacted within 2 working days of submitting your application form.
  2. Be visited and approved by one of our Environmental Health Officers. During the visit our Officer will advise on any changes you may need to make to help your business function at its best and they will then support you to achieve them in a set time period.
  3. If you intend to supply "hot food and hot drink", between the hours of 23.00 hrs - 05.00 hrs then the activities will be licensable, and you will require a late night refreshment licence.

In addition, our Economic Growth Team aims to develop the economy and support business in the Stafford area by providing free business advice. If you need further advice or information regarding starting or developing your business contact the team on 01785 619000 or email them on Further information on business support available to you can be found here Business Advice.

If you have any questions regarding food business contact us using the details located on the right-hand side.

A to Z of Services