Skip to main content


    What is a Non-Dependant?

    A non dependant is someone who normally lives with the housing and/or council tax benefit claimant such as an adult son, daughter, relative or friend.

    Boarders, sub-tenants and joint tenants are not non-dependants because they have a legally binding and commercial agreement to pay rent.

    Can Non-Dependants Claim Housing and/or Local Council Tax Reduction?

    Non-dependants cannot claim housing benefit and / or local council tax reduction because they do not have a legally binding agreement to pay rent or council tax. An amount that a non dependant may pay for their keep is not considered to be "legally binding".

    Does the money paid by Non-Dependants for their keep, count as income for the claimant?

    No. This money is not treated as the claimant's income. Instead a fixed deduction is made from the claimant's entitlement to housing and / or local council tax reduction. The amount of this deduction is dependant upon the non dependant's circumstances. Generally the more income a non dependant receives the higher the deduction.

    What if the Non-Dependant pays nothing for their keep?

    The amount of any deduction is based upon the non dependant's circumstances not on the amount paid. If the non dependant pays nothing, a deduction based upon their circumstances will still apply.

    What are the Levels of Deduction?

    This leaflet has more information on the levels of non-dependant deductions.

    Are there any exceptions?

    Yes. No deduction applies for any non-dependant if the housing and / or council tax benefit claimant or any partner is:-

    • registered Blind
    • in receipt of Severe Disablement Allowance
    • in receipt of the care component of Disability Living Allowance or Attendance Allowance
    • in receipt of Exceptionally Severe Disablement Allowance

    or if the non-dependant:-

    • is under 18
    • is under 25 and on Income Support / Job Seekers Allowance (Income Based)
    • is on a Youth Training Scheme
    • is a full time student
    • normally lives elsewhere

    For further information about non dependants please contact our benefit helpline number on 01785 619478 or alternatively email


    A to Z of Services