Latest Benefits News
Our Mission Statement
Stafford Borough Council's benefit service aims to meet the needs of the community by providing a secure and efficient service that is accessible to all, where the right benefit is paid at the right time and a service that contributes positively to the overall welfare of the community.
- The Department for Work and Pensions national figures for January 2018 to March 2018 confirms Stafford Borough Council as processing new claims at an average of 21 days; this is 1 day quicker than the national average of 22 days. Change in circumstances were processed at an average of 3 days. This is in line with the national average and 8 days quicker than our performance over the previous quarter. See our latest performance information.
- It has never been easier to report a change in circumstances by using our online form. So long as you provide all the information we need, we will aim to re-assess your claim within 2 working days, to report a change in circumstances please use our online change in circumstances form.
- Localised Council Tax Reduction -There are no changes to the scheme for 2018-19. Limiting the number of personal allowances which can be included in the claim to 2 people (as seen in Housing Benefit) will not be applied to working age local council tax support claims. This ensures that our local council tax support scheme continues to be as generous as possible. More information is available on this webpage Localised Council Tax Support.
It is important to remember that support to pay your Council Tax is not included within Universal Credit. This means you must make a claim for Local Council Tax directly to the Local Authority.
- From 6 April 2017, the number of personal allowances which can be included in the Housing Benefit applicable amount in respect of children and young people will be limited to 2. This only applies to additions to the household after 6 April or any new claims to Housing Benefit after this date. This change does not affect the number of rooms a claimant is deemed to need and the award of premiums. If you are worried that this may affect you please contact our Customer Services Team.
- Apprentices £3.70 per hour
Under 18’s £4.20 per hour
18-20 £5.90 per hour
21 to 24 £7.38 per hour
- Do you need help with budgeting or want to set up a personal budgeting plan - use this link for more information.
Information on Benefits
Benefit Welfare Visits (this link will direct you to Cannock Chase District Council's website as Stafford Borough Council operate a shared Revenues and Benefits service with Cannock Chase District Council)
If you require information on Benefit Fraud or if you think that someone is receiving benefit that they may not be entitled to please see our Benefit Investigations webpage.
To contact Directgov telephone 0845 300 5090 or visit Student Financial Support.
Stafford Borough Council does not deal directly with any other benefits, for more information on other benefits please contact the Department of Work and Pensions or access the Directgov website.