Land Charges - Personal Search Process and Guidance

Please note we are no longer able to take cash payments at the Civic Centre.

What is a personal search?

A 'personal search' is a search of 'public registers' held by Local Authorities and Utility Companies.

The Highway Authority, Environment Agency, and water companies hold information that may affect your property:

  • Register of Local Land Charge (appointment to be made with the Local Land Charge section)
  • Register of Planning applications
  • Register of Environmental Protection Nuisance and Clean Air can be viewed at the main reception at the Civic Centre

Who can make a search of Public registers?

Anyone can view a Public register.

How do I make a Personal Search?

To make a request you should email and provide the following:

  • A location plan of the property/area to be searched against clearly outlined in red .
  • The correct postal address including postcode must be quoted.

If we hold any information we will email you back within 24/48 hours.

Other Information

The Local Plan is available online to view information on Land Designations and Proposals.

Information regarding The Contaminated Land Register, Hazardous Substance Consents and Noise Abatement Zones can be obtained by contacting our Environmental Health section.

Information on Road Adoption, Public Rights of Way are available at Staffordshire County Council. Contact these services directly to make an appointment.

All enquiries regarding Public or Adopted Sewers should be directed to Severn Trent Water.

Contact details:

Land Charge Section, Stafford Borough Council, Civic Centre, Riverside, Stafford ST16 3AQ

Tel: 01785 619 534

Environmental and Health Services, Civic Centre, Riverside, Stafford ST16 3AQ

Tel: 01785 619 402

Land Charges, Staffordshire County Council, 1 Staffordshire Place, Stafford, Staffordshire , ST16 2DH

Tel: 0300 111 8000

Severn Trent Water Limited, Severn Trent Searches, PO Box 10155, Nottingham NG1 9HQ

DX: 723860 Nottingham 43

Tel: 0115 971 3550

Environment Agency, Sentinel House, Wellington Crescent, Fradley Park, Lichfield WS13 8RR

Tel: 0870 8 506 506

A to Z of Services