Planning Enforcement - Reporting a Possible Breach

Before reporting a potential breach of planning control, you should read the information on what is and isn't a breach of planning control and Lawful Development. You can also look to see if the work carried out may be Permitted Development.

For signage (also known as adverts), you can read the Department for Communities and Local Government's 'Outdoor advertisements and signs: a guide for advertisers' (pdf 1.14mb).

We can't look into matters that you think may take place, but haven’t actually commenced.

If you see a gypsy or traveller encampment, you may find it helpful to read Unauthorised Encampments before you report it to the Planning Enforcement Team.

You can contact a member of the Planning Enforcement Team by:

Filling out the online form by clicking the button below:

Alleged Planning Breach


Or by writing to: Planning Enforcement Team, Stafford Borough Council, Civic Centre, Riverside, Stafford, ST16 3AQ

We do not investigate anonymous complaints, but complainant’s details are entirely confidential. If complainants feel uncomfortable in providing their details, an officer will advise on the best course of action. You can also contact your Ward Councillor who can submit an enquiry on your behalf.

If the Council feels that a complaint is vexatious or malicious, with no real planning grounds to substantiate it, there will be no investigation.

Planning enforcement is not able to help with matters that are covered by other legislation, for example complaints in relation to public health matters, or the improper use of the highway. Any complaints with regard to these issues will be passed onto the relevant department.

If someone has made a complaint that involves you, you can find information on our Enforcement Complaints page.

A to Z of Services