Health and Safety - Occupational Health Services

Advice to Business and Community

The Council has a legal duty to enforce the Health and Safety at Work, for example Act 1974 and related legislation. On behalf of the Council, the Regulatory Service Team aims to ensure that work premises are safe for employees and visitors to them and that accidents are prevented wherever possible.  


  • inspect places of work to ensure compliance with health and safety law, in accordance with government priorities
  • use educational techniques as well as legal means to achieve compliance
  • investigate accidents to employees or others which occur in workplaces
  • investigate complaints about health, safety or welfare in work premises
  • licence particular premises (e.g. skin piercing, sex shops)
  • advise other council departments about health and safety at events with a Public Entertainment Licence, cinemas and theatres.
  • work with Planning and Building Control Officers to advise on the health and safety implications of new developments
  • give advice to customers and all stakeholders on health and safety issues
  • work with other health professionals locally and nationally

What you can expect

We will:

  • carry out regular and usually unannounced inspections of workplaces
  • investigate relevant workplace accidents within one working day of being notified
  • respond to complaints about health and safety in workplaces within two working days
  • respond to requests for advice or information about health and safety within two working days
  • respond to letters or emails about health and safety issues within five working days
  • keep you fully informed of the progress made with your enquiry or complaint

Help us to help you

Please contact us by any of the means listed at the top of the page, if you wish to make a complaint about health, safety or welfare conditions in a workplace. Please have full details ready of the premises concerned when you contact us.

Some workplaces will be the responsibility of the Health and Safety Executive, rather than the Council, according to the nature of the work carried out. We can advise you who the relevant 'enforcing authority' for health and safety purposes is, when you contact us. If you make a complaint about a workplace, we will require your name, address and contact details so that we can keep you informed of our progress.


A to Z of Services