Skip to main content

Pollution Control - Part B & A Permits

    Environmental Health

    Some industrial techniques have potential to cause pollution. Since 1990 many of these processes have required an 'authorisation' from the Environment Agency to operate and they are also inspected annually. Some processes have the potential to cause only air pollution and for these operations the local authority is responsible for their inspection and regulation.

    Licence Summary

    You must have an environmental permit if you operate a regulated facility in England or Wales.

    A regulated facility includes:

    • installations or mobile plants carrying out listed activities
    • waste operations
    • waste mobile plant
    • mining waste operations

    Listed activities include:

    • energy - burning fuel, gasification, liquification and refining activities
    • metals - manufacturing and processing metals
    • minerals - manufacturing lime, cement, ceramics or glass
    • chemicals - manufacturing chemicals, pharmaceuticals or explosives, storing chemicals in bulk
    • waste - incinerating waste, operating landfills, recovering waste
    • solvents - using solvents
    • other - manufacturing paper, pulp and board, treating timber products, coating, treating textiles and printing, manufacturing new tyres, intensive pig and poultry farming

    Listed activities are divided into three categories: Part A(1), Part A(2) and Part B.

    Part A permits control activities with a range of environmental impacts, including:

    • emissions to air, land and water
    • energy efficiency
    • waste reduction
    • raw materials consumption
    • noise, vibration and heat
    • accident prevention

    Part B permits control activities which cause emissions to air.

    The permit your business requires depends on the specific processes involved and resulting emissions.

    Permits are available from the Environment Agency or your local authority (the regulator) depending upon the category your business falls within:

    • Part A(1) installations or mobile plants are regulated by the Environment Agency
    • Part A(2) and Part B installations or mobile plants are regulated by the local authority, except waste operations carried out at Part B installations which are regulated by the Environment Agency
    • waste operations or waste mobile plant carried on other than at an installation, or by Part A or Part B mobile plants, are regulated by the Environment Agency
    • mining waste operations are regulated by the Environment Agency

    Eligibility Criteria

    Applications must be made on the form provided by the regulator, or online and must include specified information which will vary depending on the operation.

    A fee may be payable.

    If further information is required the applicant will be notified by the regulator and they must provide this information or the application will be deemed to be withdrawn.

    The application must be from the operator of the regulated facility.

    For waste operations no licence will be granted unless any required planning permission had first been granted.

    Application Evaluation Process

    The regulator will pay regard to the protection of the environment taken as a whole by, in particular, preventing or, where that is not practicable, reducing emissions into the air, water and land.

    The regulator may inform the public of the application and must consider any representations.

    The application must be from the operator of the regulated facility and the regulator must be satisfied that they must operate the facility in accordance with the environmental permit.

    Will Tacit Consent Apply?

    No. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from the local authority within a reasonable period, please contact it. You can do this online if you applied through the UK Welcomes service or use the contact details below.

    Refund Policy

    Please note that refunds of licence fees are not normally given. Only in exceptional circumstances, as deemed by the Licensing Manager, will a refund be considered. Any refunds given may be subject to an administration charge.

    Failed Application Redress

    Please contact the Pollution Control Officer on 01785 619557 in the first instance.

    An applicant who is refused an environmental permit may appeal to the appropriate authority. In England the appropriate authority is the Secretary of State and in Wales are the Welsh Ministers. Appeals must be lodged no later than six months from the date of the decision.

    Licence Holder Redress

    Please contact the Pollution Control Officer on 01785 619557 in the first instance.

    If an application to vary, transfer or surrender an environmental permit has been refused or if the applicant objects to conditions imposed on the environmental permit they may appeal to the appropriate authority.

    Appeals must be lodged in relation to a regulator initiated variation, a suspension notice or an enforcement notice, not later than two months from the date of the variation or notice and in any other case not later than six months from the date of the decision.

    Consumer Complaint

    We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Citizen's Advice will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

    Other Redress

    Compensation may be payable in relation to conditions affecting certain interests in land.

    Trade Associations

    Federation of Environmental Trade Associations (FETA)

    Environmental Industries Commission (EIC)

    Environmental Services Associations (ESA)

    Do I Need an IPPC Permit?

    What Will The Permit Control?

    How Much Will Gaining A Permit Cost?

    Do I need an IPPC Permit?

    The matters are complex, there are many categories of both commercial and industrial activities that are prescribed for control. You will need to contact the Pollution Control Officer using the details at the top of this page for more detailed information. TOP

    What will the permit control?

    The Permit will manage emissions of prescribed substances to the air. It may also control noise, water releases or spillages to land. TOP

    How much will gaining a Permit cost?

    There may be requirements to upgrade the emission controls at the activity. This may cost significant amounts, particularly where solvent and odour emissions are above the required standards.

    If the activity already meets the emission standards, the costs will be small.

    The cost of an application to permit an activity ranges from approximately £500 to £2000. TOP

    A to Z of Services