The Council is currently requesting comments on the Draft Charitable Collections Policy by 12 midnight Wednesday 1 December 2021.

    This page gives details of all the different types of licences that are needed for either business or personal use, and how they may be obtained. It also highlights certain activities that do not need licences.

    If you have any concerns about the behaviour or activity of a licensed retailer or operator please contact or telephone 01785 619745.

    The Council is the licensing authority for the administration and enforcement of the Licensing Act 2003 and associated orders and regulations within its area. The Act regulates:-

    • the sale of alcohol
    • the supply of alcohol by or on behalf of a club
    • the provision of regulated entertainment
    • the provision of late night refreshment

    The Act requires that the Licensing Authority prepares and publishes a statement of its licensing policy every five years. Before determining its policy for any five-year period, the Authority is required to undertake a public consultation exercise on the proposed policy.

    Taxi and Private Hire Vehicle Licences

    Since the Covid-19 pandemic, the Licensing Team have changed the way they work, whilst still maintaining the service for all customers.

    The Council, as a whole, has adopted a hybrid working model, which means that the office will be manned as and when the staff attend, to fit in with business needs. This means that any contact required physically with the Licensing staff is on an appointment only basis. If you have arranged an appointment with one of the Team, you must be on time, otherwise you won't be seen and a further appointment will have to be made, which could delay the processing of any of your applications.

    This has been the case since the first lockdown.

    The Team are still experiencing drivers ‘dropping in’ and expecting to be seen, no ‘drop-ins’ will be seen.

    The ground floor reception has also been remodelled and there will no longer be staff manning a desk. If you require help with post/scanning documents this can be arranged.

    Drivers and operators in Stafford Borough are still expected to maintain high standards of cleanliness in their vehicles and must adhere to government guidelines throughout this Covid-19 pandemic.

    Unlicensed taxi or private hire vehicles are not only illegal - they could be dangerous

    An unlicensed taxi will not have been examined by Stafford Borough Council for safety and roadworthiness. It might not even have a current MOT or insurance.

    Catering Licences

    Entertainment and Gambling Licences

    Other Licences

    Animal Licences

    Other Information

    Everything we do not licence.

    More information about Staffordshire Highways and any related licensing or legal issues may be found in the Transport and Highways section of the Staffordshire County Council website.

    For information regarding Safety Advisory Groups, please see our Safety Advisory Group Terms of Reference under Related Documents

    If the information you require is not here, it may be obtained from the Staffordshire County Council website or on 0300 111 8000.

    Licensing Register

    The Licensing Register can be found here.

    How Do You Rate This Page?

    A to Z of Services