Alternative Waste Collectors

Please Beware of Rogue Waste Collectors

Householders have a duty of care to take reasonable steps to ensure waste items (including fridges, bicycles, lawn mowers) are disposed of properly.

Anyone removing waste from your household should normally be licensed with the Environment Agency. You can call them on 08708 506 506 and request an instant waste carrier validation check or check online. This does not apply if you use Stafford Borough Council’s services see Recycling and Waste Special Collections for Large Items.

If you hire another person, such as builder, plumber, gardener or leave items for passing scrap metal dealers to remove on your behalf and your items get fly-tipped, you can be held responsible and could get fined up to £5,000.

If you are not disposing of the item(s) at a Household Waste Recycling Centre (tip), you should:-

  • Ensure that the unwanted items are on your property and not left on a road or pavement for collection.
  • Check the license/badge of the person collecting the item(s) to ensure they are authorised or ask for their Waste Carrier Number. Also record their vehicle registration number if you can.
  • If they can't or won't show relevant ID, you should refuse their services.
  • Cash cannot be used as payment and you should ensure you get a receipt with their details on (including their waste carrier number).
  • Ensure that they have a record of your name and address written down.

Check (registration/ID)
Refuse (if they cannot provide registration number)
Ask (for receipt)
Paperwork (keep it as proof of your transaction)

A to Z of Services