Covid-19 Information and Guidance
In accordance with current Government guidelines, all council parks and play parks will be open from 4 July, although:
- From Thursday 30 July 2020, the toilets at Victoria Park play area will be open (10am-4pm). However, all other on-site park toilets will remain closed until further notice
- The splash pad at Victoria Park will not be operating
- The play area and skate bowl are open daily (10am-7pm)
- The historic section of Victoria Park and its bowling green will remain closed because of the restoration work taking place
- Bowling and tennis are now permitted at most of our parks under certain circumstances (see individual park webpages for details).
- Rowley Park is open for vehicles and pedestrians but some activities are restricted or still closed. The bowling green is open. Please check Rowley Park website for details
- Stafford Castle grounds - Vehicle and pedestrian access is available to the castle grounds. Visitor Centre and public toilets are closed so please plan ahead. For opening times and more information visit the Stafford Castle website.
- Littleworth Park is currently open for bowling clubs only
- Riverway Bowling Greens are open
For your health and that of the community you must observe the following:
- Do not visit a park if you have symptoms of Covid-19
- Observe social distancing guidelines and good hygiene at all times
- See more information about our parks at www.staffordbc.gov.uk/park
We would like to know your opinion about the overall quality of Victoria Park and Play Area. Please take a few moments to complete our Visitor Survey.
Victoria Park is a Green Flag award winning park located on the banks of the River Sow in the heart of Stafford Town Centre (ST16 2QF).
We would also like to hear your views about the park and the impact of the closure, particularly throughout the COVID-19 Pandemic Lockdown, please complete our Victoria Park Lockdown Survey
Victoria Park and the Heritage Lottery Fund
Work started on the restoration of Victoria Park on 22 July 2019 and is scheduled to be completed by Summer 2020. During the construction works Victoria Park is closed to the general public, with only the public right of way being accessible along the river at Izaak Walton Walk from Victoria Bridge to Mill Walk. The play park area and bowling green will remain open however. You can keep up to date with all of the plans via the Victoria Park - Heritage Lottery Fund webpage.
The park offers a wide range of facilities all year round for all ages to engage in recreation activities. With the River Sow running through the park, the grassy bank offers a perfect opportunity to sit and relax whilst watching the ducks. Don't forget to keep up to date with what is happening by following Victoria Park on Facebook.
Originally named the Victoria Park Pleasure Grounds, the site opened in 1908 and is the Boroughs principal destination park. The park now covers an area of 4.95 acres, the park is the largest formal park in the Borough.
The site contains the listed structures of the Alderman Mottram shelter and the County War Memorial. The structure of the park has changed very little since the park was opened and as a result the original park layout is still in existence today.
The original park was extended twice, firstly in 1911 and secondly in 1930 when the play facilities were added to the North Western corner.
- Band Stand (available for hire)
- Bowling Green (open April to September - available for hire)
- Glass House (Formal arrangements using a selection of the plants can be hired for formal occasions such as award ceremonies or fundraising evenings
- Riverside Walks
- Sensory raised garden
- Splash Pad
- Play Area - ST16 2QP (Additional Byelaws apply)
Climbing Net 7m High, Roundabout, Sand Pit and Sand Diggers, Senior Multi-play Unit, Skate Simulator, Slide 5m High, Springers, Swings (Cradle, Flat and Group), Trampoline, Toddler Multi-play Unit, Wet Play Area (open during Summer season only), Wheeled Sports Bowl.
Park Opening Hours
Site excluding play area:
- March 8am - 6pm
- April 8am - 8pm
- May to August 8am - 9pm
- September 8am - 8pm
- October 8am - 6pm
- November to February 8am - 4.30pm
The Victoria Park Play Area is open from 8am until park closing time daily, except Wednesday 10am until park closing time.
Friends of Victoria Park
The park has an active friends of group who are an independent voluntary group who are active in increasing the community use and ownership of the site.
If you would like more information about the Friends of Victoria Park and other varied volunteering roles available in Victoria Park please contact us:
Tel: 01785 619428
Getting to Us
Victoria Park is located on Tenterbanks, Stafford, ST16 2QF. The nearest car parks are either Tenterbanks or Doxey Road (near Sainsburys) but you can park in any of the Town Centre car parks and follow the finger posts.
You can also reach the park by public transport, please visit Traveline or call 0871 200 22 33
In order for every visitor to enjoy the park there are a number of byelaws enforce on the park.
- No Camping or Fires, No Golf, No Motor Vehicles
- No Horse Riding
- Alcohol free zone
- Dogs on leads majority of the park, (on the spot fine)
- Dogs prohibited in the play area, (on the spot fine)
- No cycling except in designated areas
- No wheeled sports except in designated areas
- Please dispose of your litter properly (on the spot fine)