The conservation service advises Development Management on planning applications affecting listed buildings and conservation areas. Advice is also given to owners that live in listed buildings or within conservation areas on aspects such as building construction or use of suitable materials.
Applications are assessed alongside the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990, historic environment policies within the National Planning Policy Framework and saved Local Plan, and national guidance in the Planning Practice Guidance, and from Historic England and other specialist bodies.
Further information on conservation areas: areas of 'special architectural or historic interest, the character or appearance of which it is desirable to preserve or enhance.'
Further information on a buildings, objects or structures that are on the statutory 'list of buildings of special architectural or historic interest'.
Further information on Tree Preservation Orders and trees in conservation areas.
Staffordshire County Council's Historic Environment Team are responsible for matters relating to archaeology, and maintain the County's Historic Environment Record.
The following websites contain useful information relating to building conservation:
- Historic England - Advisor to the government on the protection and conservation of the built heritage, and to local councils on Scheduled Monuments, Historic Parks and Gardens and Grade I and II* Listed Buildings;
- Historic Environment Local Management (HELM) - Part of English Heritage, providing guidance on the management of heritage assets, and training for specialists;
- Department for Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) - Government department responsible for the listing of historic buildings;
- Institute for Historic Building Conservation (IHBC) - Professional institution for conservation and historic environment specialists;
- Heritage Lottery Fund - The main provider of grants for the conservation and promotion of the historic environment;
- Historic Towns Forum - provides support and guidance for those working on the conservation of historic towns and cities;
- Listed Property Owners Club - Provides advice for owners of listed buildings, informing them on the responsibilities of the upkeep of their properties.
- Building Conservation Directory - an independent website providing details of specialist products and services, and articles by leading experts.
The following organisations provide guidance on the conservation of specific ages or types of building.
- Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings (SPAB) - all aspects of repairing historic buildings;
- The Twentieth Century Society;
- The Victorian Society (includes post-Victorian period up to 1914);
- The Georgian Group;
- Churches Conservation Trust a national charity working to save historic churches at risk
- Staffordshire Historic Buildings Trust - tel: 07768 520411
- Staffordshire Gardens and Parks Trust - Work to promote, preserve and enhance Staffordshire's historic parks and gardens;
- Staffordshire Past-Track - An on-line database and archive for historic features within Staffordshire, mainly consisting of photographic records, searchable by map;
- Staffordshire County Council - The Historic Environment Team;
- Stafford Historical Society - Group established to protect Stafford's heritage, history and artefacts;
- William Salt Library (Staffordshire County Council);
- Staffordshire Record Office (Staffordshire County Council).