The Localism Act (2011) Part 6, Chapter 3 introduces new rights and powers to allow local communities to shape development in their area by coming together to prepare Neighbourhood Plans.
Neighbourhood planning can be taken forward by two types of body - town and parish councils or 'neighbourhood forums'. Neighbourhood forums are community groups that are designated to take forward neighbourhood planning in areas without parishes. It is the Local Planning Authority’s role to agree who should be the neighbourhood forum for a neighbourhood area.
Neighbourhood Development Plans: Neighbourhood forums and parish councils can use new neighbourhood planning powers to establish general planning policies for the development and use of land in a neighbourhood by producing a Neighbourhood Development Plan.
Neighbourhood Development Orders: Communities can use neighbourhood planning to permit the development they want to see - in full or in outline – without the need for planning applications through a Neighbourhood Development Order.
If you are looking to develop a Neighbourhood Development Plan for your area, please contact your local Parish Council. The Council have prepared the following set of guidance sheets to explain the important aspects in preparing a Neighbourhood Development Plan.
- What is a Neighbourhood Plan and who can prepare one?
- What are the benefits in preparing a Neighbourhood Plan?
- The Key stages for preparing a Neighbourhood Plan.
- Key points to consider before preparing a Neighbourhood Plan.
- What are the legal tests that must be satisfied before a Neighbourhood Plan is adopted?
- What is the role of Stafford Borough Council in preparing a Neighbourhood Plan?
- Neighbourhood Planning grants and support available.
Neighbourhood Plans in Stafford Borough
Stafford Borough Council has designated the following seven Neighbourhood Plan areas across Stafford. Please click on the following links to see how each Neighbourhood Plan is developing.
- Barlaston Neighbourhood Plan
- Colwich Neighbourhood Plan
- Doxey Neighbourhood Plan
- Eccleshall Neighbourhood Plan
- Gnosall Neighbourhood Plan
- High Offley Neighbourhood Area
- Hixon Neighbourhood Plan
- Hopton and Coton Area
- Sandon and Burston Neighbourhood Plan
- Stone Town Neighbourhood Plan
- Swynnerton Neighbourhood Plan
For the latest news on Neighbourhood Planning please visit www.ourneighbourhoodplanning.org.uk
Locality have several useful documents on their website including a Neighbourhood Planning Roadmap Guide. To view this document and for other information please visit the Locality website.