Council Tax

    Contact the Council Tax Team

    Council Tax is payable on all domestic property. The level of Council Tax is determined by separate charges levied by Staffordshire County Council, the Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner, Stoke-on-Trent and Staffordshire Fire Authority, Stafford Borough Council and Parish Councils. Council Tax is collected on behalf of these bodies by Stafford Borough Council. Your bill advises you how much of the Council Tax is paid to each of these organisations.

    The amount of Council Tax you have to pay depends on:

    • The valuation band your property is in
    • The number of people aged 18 or over living in your property
    • Whether a discount or exemption is appropriate
    • Whether you qualify for Council Tax Benefit

    When we work out Council Tax we assume that two people, aged 18 or over, live in most properties.

    Local Council Tax Reduction

    On 1 April 2013, the national council tax benefit scheme was replaced by the local council tax reduction scheme (LCTRS).

    The amount of support you are entitled to will depend on your personal circumstances although anyone with capital in excess of £6000 cannot qualify. More information about the LCTRS scheme.

    Related Information:

    Important Information

    There have been a number of calls received from council taxpayers who have received a letter from a company providing a 'no win, no fee' service regarding property bandings

    Stafford Borough Council strongly advise customers who want to check if their banding is correct, to contact the Valuation Office Agency. They are responsible for setting the council tax band on all domestic properties and will be able to review your band and advise you accordingly – there is no charge for this service.

    If successful and the banding is reduced, the Valuation Office will advise the council and customers will have their council tax account amended and the whole amount of any overpaid Council Tax will be refunded.

    The Valuation Office Agency website contains a lot of useful information regarding Council tax banding and can be found at

    Further contact details are as follows:

    Telephone number:  03000 501501

    Address:  Blackburn House, Old Hall Street, Hanley, Stoke on Trent. ST1 3BS

    A to Z of Services