Certain areas of Stafford Borough are at risk from flooding. The Council is required to consider the water environment and flood risk at all stages of the planning process.
For planning applications within flood zones 2 and 3 (the areas most likely to flood), the Council requires a “sequential test” to be completed, including consideration of a range of alternative sites. The applicant must show how alternative sites outside flood zones 2 and 3 have been considered and why the application site is considered suitable.
The Council has produced a Strategic Flood Risk Assessment (SFRA). This document has been jointly produced with Lichfield District, South Staffordshire and Cannock Chase Councils. The purpose of an SFRA is to assess and map all forms of flood risk from groundwater, surface water, sewer and river sources, taking into account future climate change predictions, and use this as an evidence base to locate future development in low flood risk areas.
Appendix A - Geo Maps A1-D4*
- A1 Stafford Borough north
- A2 Stafford Borough north
- B1 Stafford Borough northwest - Eccleshall Ward
- B2 Stafford Borough north - Stone, Yarnfield and surrounding
- B3 Stafford Borough northwest - Stone, Fulford and Milwich wards
- C1 Stafford Borough west - Rural Eccleshall and Gnosall wards
- C2 Stafford Borough - Stafford, Gnosall and Eccleshall
- C3 Stafford Borough east - Stafford, Colwich, Weston and Hixon
- C4 Stafford Borough east, Lichfield District northwest - Rural areas
- D1 Stafford Borough southwest, South Staffs northwest - Rural areas
- D2 Stafford Borough and South Staffs District - west of Penkridge and Stafford
- D3 Cannock, Penkridge and Cannock Chase
- D4 East Cannock, Rugeley, Handsacre and King Bromley
*You will need to open Appendix A documents A1 - D4 in Adobe Acrobat as they comprise interactive elements.
- Appendix B - Data Sources used in SFRA (pdf 15mb)
- Appendix D4 - Summary of flood risk in Stafford Borough (pdf 229mb)
- Stafford Site Screening (pdf 50mb)
Previous SFRA - June 2014