The programme of Doorstep walks is currently under review. Please take care whilst out walking the routes as the weather and changing seasons can affect the terrain.
Length of walk: Approx 4.5 miles
Duration of walk: Approx 2-4 hours
Good place to start: St Thomas Church car park
Notes: Disabled access, muddy fields
- From the car park behind St. Thomas' and St. Andrew's Church at Doxey, take the footpath which leads over rough ground to reach the cycletrack/footpath - part of 'The Greenway'.
- Go forward along the road past the former Burleyfields Farm, until a bridleway is reached at a signpost close to the next farm.
- Leave the road and follow the bridleway, passing through two metal bridle gates. Continue along a farm access under the M6 motorway, then through a yellow painted gate into a field now known as Duddas Wood. From a finger post near some trees, bear right across the new wood to a gate - take the path opposite, up onto the Greenway to visit Derrington's Millennium Green.
- Return to Duddas Wood, pass through another gate to follow the edge of the village. The Castle and its woods dominate the scene to the left.
- Turn left at the hedge boundary. A path leads towards a pedestrian underpass of the M6 then rises gradually across two fields towards the edge of Castle Woods.
- Cross a stile and walk round to the Castle Visitor centre and if desired follow the Castle Trail.
- Return to the stile at point 6. Turn right and walk directly downhill beside the hedge.
- A bridleway is reached by a pool. Turn right through a bridle gate and walk across a field and then beside part of the Castle Golf Course, to reach Castlefields estate.
- Cross the road with care. Bear left along Martin Drive using either the pavement or the path along the top of the embankment.
- Continue along the farm road to join the cycle/walkway, then return to Doxey by the path you used earlier.
Note: Click map image for a bigger view.
To print the walk details above, right click and print or go to file and print. Alternatively if you would like a hard copy of the Doorstep Walks pack please email your request with your name and address to email@example.com