The programme of Doorstep walks is currently under review. Please take care whilst out walking the routes as the weather and changing seasons can affect the terrain.
Length of walk: Approx 2.5 miles
Duration of walk: Approx 1-2 hours
Good place to start: Tillington Hall Hotel
Notes: Can be wet and muddy
- On the opposite side of the road from the hotel look out for a public footpath sign by the post box. Follow the footpath through a small housing estate, you'll notice a post and wire fence running to the right of the path. Continue along Warren's Lane. The path takes you through a wooded area and on to Doxey Marshes nature reserve.
- Through the gate and continue along the footpath which runs between Boundary Flash and a small pond. There is a wooded area to the left.
- As you approach the River Sow ahead you will notice Lily Pool on your right. Follow the path alongside the river until, just before the gate and stile, you reach a narrow path running off to the left.
- Through the gate the path continues to follow the line of the river closely. However, an alternative route takes you to the left and up towards the town cemetery. As you enter the cemetery you will see Cemetery Pool. This point marks the edge of the nature reserve.
- Returning to the route alongside the river, you will see a weir as you walk toward a bridge 50 metres or so ahead. Immediately beyond the weir the path joins a disused railway line, which has now been turned into a cycle track and footpath. Turn left onto this path and follow the route northwards.
- Continue for a while, passing under two main roads, the Eccleshall Road and Stone Road (A34). Immediately beyond the second road bridge come up from the cycleway, following a path to your left. The area of open space in front of you is Stafford Common.
- Leave the Common turning right onto the pavement alongside the Stone Road. A few hundred metres beyond Stafford Common turn left at the traffic lights, down Holmcroft Road back to Tillington Hall Hotel.
If you notice any changes with the walk, please make a note of the number and what the change is and email it over to us so we can make sure the directions are up to date.
To print the walk details above, right click and print or go to file and print. Alternatively if you would like a hard copy of the Doorstep Walks pack please email your request with your name and address to email@example.com