Length of walk: Approx 3.5 miles
Duration of walk: Approx 2-4 hours
Good place to start: Rising Brook shops
Notes: Can often be muddy
- From the Baptist Church cross John Amery Drive and follow the pavement to reach the pedestrian crossing on West Way. A public footpath to the right of the Grove Primary School leads to Highfield Grove and continues between the houses, to a metal gateway giving access to Rowley Park.
- Walk across this open area before leaving on the other side via another metal gateway passing between houses to reach Lawn Road. Turn left past a row of tall terraced houses, then right down Rowley Avenue.
- On reaching the Newport Road (A518) cross to the road marked 'Castlefields'. Look for a public footpath sign near a small brick building. Another sign, a few metres beyond, directs you right along a path which leads to a lake.
- Follow the path around the lake, cross the access road towards Castlefields estate and look for a footpath sign near the hedge on the far side. This directs you along the well used path up to the Castle, passing a sports field and the Castle Golf Course. Ignore another path branching off to the right.
- The path leaves the Golf Course at a stile near a group of mature trees and bears slightly left across two fields to the Castle drive and Visitor Centre. On the way you cross a sunken path.
- Enjoy your walk along the Castle Trail before returning to the Visitor Centre and continue the walk down the Castle drive to the road (A518). Cross into Thorneyfields Lane. At the far end turn right down Whittingham Drive, left at the junction with Sundown Drive and right into the next part of Thorneyfields Lane.
- As you approach the bridge over the M6 motorway look for a footpath sign on the left. The path leads across open fields between the motorway and Western Downs estate. Pass an area of newly planted trees then bear left at a hedge boundary to rejoin Sundown Drive and a little further ahead, the end of Larkin Close.
- Look for a footpath sign on a lamp post. This directs you over rough ground beside the boundary hedge. When the ground begins to descend to the brook (the Rising Brook) turn sharp left along a tarmac path below houses and follow the path to reach a bend on Barnes Road.
- Go forward to cross the brook over a footbridge and walk along Hambridge Close and Shannon Road, then left into Burton Manor Road. After a few metres turn right along Hazelton Green, then left down John Amery Drive to return to the shopping area at Rising Brook.
If you notice any changes with the walk, please make a note of the number and what the change is and email it over to us so we can make sure the directions are up to date.
To print the walk details above, right click and print or go to file and print. Alternatively if you would like a hard copy of the Doorstep Walks pack please email your request with your name and address to firstname.lastname@example.org