There are many places to explore, right on your doorstep within Stafford Borough.
We have a number of award-winning parks and look after over 300 hectares of parks and open spaces, over 76 play areas and over 18,000 trees across the Borough.
Our parks are an ideal place to relax and unwind and the variety of spaces means that there is an ideal space for everyone.
If you prefer to visit the town centres, take a walk around and explore all they have to offer in Our Beautiful Borough.
We also have a number of longer doorstep walks in the below areas that are approximately between 3 and 5 miles long.
- Doxey Marshes and Tillington Walk
- Rising Brook to Stafford Castle Walk
- Doxey to the Castle via Derrington Walk
- Baswich to Tixall Walk
- Walton-on-the-Hill to Brocton Walk
- Littleworth to Baswich Waterside Walk
- Burton Manor to Ashflats Walk
- St John’s School to Beacon Hill and Hopton Pools Walk
- Silkmore, Rickerscote to Hyde Lea Walk
- Parkside to Stafford Common and Astonfields Walk
- Wildwood to Walton Canalside Walk
Things to consider before you start to walk:
- Think about what you might need; comfortable and sturdy shoes; weather appropriate clothing such as a rain coat or hat; a camera or smartphone.
- Think about your goal, for example do you want to walk for a certain amount of time, or cover a set distance? Do you simply want to enjoy your local surroundings?
- If you are going on a long walk, consider telling someone where you are planning to go and approximately how long you think you will be out.
- Consider the Countryside code.
- Leave gates and property as you find them.
- Protect plants and animals and take your litter home.
- Keep dogs under close control.
If you need some more inspiration, here are some resources to help:
- Stafford walks (staffordshire.gov.uk) - A number of downloadable PDF’s available with maps, directions and local heritage, historical information with short descriptions of each walk.
- Map of footpaths and bridleways (staffordshire.gov.uk) - A interactive map showing public rights of way and bridleways that you can search by street name or postcode.
- Find free walks near me (walkingbritain.co.uk) - Search the Stafford Borough area and approximately 20 suggested walks are available.
- Walking England - free walks to download and print
- Staffordshire Wildlife Trust - Have a number of local walks and offer Wildlife Walks within Stafford Borough. Please contact them directly to find out any current restrictions to their walks.
- Go Walking (ramblers.org.uk) - You can search by area and they have a number of walks varying in length.
Share Your Own Doorstep Walks
Inspire others in your area and create some local doorstep walks that you can share and promote. Please do get in touch to share your doorstep walks or if you have any questions we would love to hear from you. We have some useful tips to how to start creating a doorstep walk.
On social media use #DoorstepWalks