Length of walk: Approx 5 miles
Duration of walk: Approx 2-3 hours
Good place to start: Silkmore Primary School
Notes: Busy roads
- From the School cross over Exeter Street and walk towards Silkmore Lane. Use the pedestrian refuge to cross Silkmore Lane and turn into Rickerscote Road. Follow the road round to the right, to the shops in Rickerscote Village.
There is a temporary closure of the railway crossing, so for now the route follows the public highway along Rickerscote Lane and School Lane to Gravel Lane.
- From the shops continue along Rickerscote Lane with housing both sides, and continue as the road bears right onto School Lane. After the railway bridge, turn left into Gravel Lane and follow the road to the end. From Gravel Lane the walk now crosses the Stafford - Wolverhampton road, into Chain Lane. Chain Lane leads into Barn Bank Lane to become a rural lane, after crossing the bridge over the M6 Motorway.
- After a further 200 meters cross over a stile on your left into a field. The path follows the direction of the sign, diagonally uphill across the field, to another stile. It continues along the hedge to where it becomes a lane.
- Before reaching the lane our walk now joins another field path which returns downhill across a number of stiles to Grange Farm. Pass through the farm yard and along the farm lane to Ashflats Lane and turn left.
- Ashflats Lane crosses over the M6 Motorway and at the end of the bridge follow the footpath sign on the right. Steps take you down the embankment. Cross a stile here and turn right to follow the motorway boundary.
- After another stile, turn diagonally left to a stile in the corner of the field and follow the hedge to the railway.
- A footbridge takes the walk over the rail track and through Moss Pit Garage. Follow signs to the A449.
- After crossing the A449 go over the stile and cross the field diagonally to the farm track. Go straight over the farm track, using the two stiles. Follow the path across fields through several gates and over stiles until you rejoin Rickerscote Lane at point 4. Return to Rickerscote and Silkmore retracing the outward route.
If you notice any changes with the walk, please make a note of the number and what the change is and email it over to us so we can make sure the directions are up to date.
To print the walk details above, right click and print or go to file and print. Alternatively if you would like a hard copy of the Doorstep Walks pack please email your request with your name and address to firstname.lastname@example.org