Brownfield Land Register Submissions - How we use your personal information

    At Stafford Borough Council we take your privacy seriously and will only keep and use your personal information for reasons the law requires or allows. 

    We are a data controller for the personal information we hold about you regarding Supplementary Planning Documents representations.

    The purposes for which your data will be used

    To enable the processing of planning and associated applications and any subsequent appeals. 

    Planning and Compulsory Act 2004 and the Town and Country Planning (Brownfield Land Register) Regulations 2017. Local Planning Authorities are legally required to maintain and publish  a register of previously developed land. The brownfield register forms part of the evidence base required for local plan preparation. This links largely to the information submitted to the SHLAA (see separate form).  Landowners, developers and agents are publicly invited to submit sites to the SHLAA which they would be interested in developing to the local planning authority: details of site submissions include contact details eg phone number, address / email address and other information such as land ownership for instance.

    Our lawful basis for carrying out these tasks

    We are able to do this because we have your consent to do so, legislation says we must do it and that it is in the public interest to do so.   There are several pieces of legislation that apply to the processing of planning and associated applications. The main rules that set out how to process these applications are contained in:

    The legal basis is set out in Town and Country Planning (Brownfield Land Register) Regulations 2017.

    With whom will we share your information

    Data will not be passed on beyond Stafford Borough Council.

    How long we will keep your information

    We only keep this data for the time specified in our retention schedule or as required by law.

    Your rights

    Data protection law provides you with certain rights, however not all of these rights will be available to you in all situations, particularly where we process your information as part of one of our statutory duties.  Where we are under a legal duty to use data for a particular purpose you will not have the right to prevent it being used in that way.

    A full list of the rights you may have, under data protection law, is given in the 'Your Rights' section of this webpage.

    For specific enquiries regarding personal data which we process you can contact the Data Protection Officer on email: or at Civic Centre, Riverside, Stafford ST16 3AQ.

    If you wish to complain about how your personal information has been handled by Stafford Borough Council then please contact the Data Protection Officer in the first instance using the details above.  If you are not satisfied you can submit a formal complaint to the Council via our Complaints webpage.

    Finally you can complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office at: The Information Commissioner’s Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF. Tel: 0303 123 1113 or you can visit their website at

    You can also find details of how we handle your personal information by visiting



    Tel: 01785 619000

    How Do You Rate This Page?

    A to Z of Services