At Stafford Borough Council we take your privacy seriously and will only keep and use your personal information for reasons that the law requires or allows. We are a data controller for the personal information we hold about you in relation to the processing and renewals of your dual badge driver licence and/or your vehicle licence. In order to comply with data protection legislation we want to be sure you understand how we use this information.
The purposes for which your data will be used, this information is required to allow us to process and issue you with a licence -
- To establish your identity and date of birth.
- To confirm your current address and operating base if applicable.
- To establish your immigration status and the Right to Work in the UK.
- To establish your medical fitness to drive a licensed taxi.
- To establish whether you have any criminal convictions recorded.
- To ensure your vehicle is fit for purpose and to establish that the vehicle details are in your name and you have the relevant insurance.
- To allow us to fulfil our legal obligations for providing data to Government bodies.
The legal basis for the processing is necessary for the compliance with a legal obligation. The legal bases that are used:
- The Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1976
- The Town Police Clauses Act 1847
We may share your information with the following in order to ensure public safety, protect public funds and for the prevention and detection of crime:
- The Public Register
- The Home Office
- The Police
- Other Government agencies, Council departments and Enforcement agencies, when required and is necessary.
- National Fraud Initiative:
Stafford Borough Council is required by law to protect the public funds it administers. It may share information provided to it with other bodies responsible for; auditing, or administering public funds, or where undertaking a public function, in order to prevent and detect fraud.
The Cabinet Office is responsible for carrying out data matching exercises.
The use of data by the Cabinet Office in a data matching exercise is carried out with statutory authority under Part 6 of the Local Audit and Accountability Act 2014. Data matching by the Cabinet Office is subject to a Code of Practice.
- Otherwise, we will only share your data if you ask us to, or if the law requires or allows us to.
We only keep this data for the time specified in our retention schedule or as required by law.
Data protection law provides you with certain rights, however not all of these rights will be available to you in all situations, particularly where we process your information as part of one of our statutory duties. Where we are under a legal duty to use data for a particular purpose you will not have the right to prevent it being used in that way.
A full list of the rights you may have, under data protection law, is given in the 'Your Rights' section.
For specific enquiries regarding personal data which we process you can contact the Data Protection Officer on email: email@example.com or at Civic Centre, Riverside, Stafford ST16 3AQ.
If you wish to complain about how your personal information has been handled by Stafford Borough Council then please contact the Data Protection Officer in the first instance using the details above. If you are not satisfied you can submit a formal complaint to the Council via our Complaints webpage.
Finally you can complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office at: The Information Commissioner’s Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF, Tel: 0303 123 1113 or you can visit their website at ico.org.uk.
You can also find details of how we handle your personal information by visiting