Building Control - How we use your personal information

We take your privacy seriously and will only keep and use your personal information for reasons that the law requires or allows.  We are a data controller for the personal information we hold about you in relation to Building Regulations. In order to comply with data protection legislation we want to be sure you understand how we use this information.

The purposes for which your data will be used

  • Processing submitted applications for approval under the Building Regulations from initial submission through to issuing a completion certificate.
  • Ensuring that reports of Unauthorised Works are assessed and acted upon accordingly.
  • Providing fee quotations to enable an application to be submitted. 
  • To provide pre-application advise to customers who are proposing works that may require Building Regulations.
  • Ensuring the registration of Initial Notices are processed accordingly.
  • Ensuring that Sections 80 Demolition notices are registered and processed accordingly.

We are able to do this because legislation under The Building Act 1984  says that we can and it is in the public interest. The main rules are contained in the following statutes and subsequent amendments to them:

  • The Building Regulations 2010 and any subsequent amendments.
  • The Building (Approved Inspector) Regulations 2010 and any subsequent amendments.

We may share your information with: 

  • Other internal departments directly involved in recovery of outstanding monies or enforcement of the building regulations, dangerous structures or demolition works where necessary.
  • Other Local Authorities when applications are submitted under the LABC Partnership scheme.
  • The Fire and Rescue Service as required by the above legislation and to ensure buildings comply with fire safety legislation.
  • Other consultees necessary to ensure construction work complies with the building regulations e.g. structural engineers.

Otherwise, we will only share your data if you ask us to, if it is in the public interest to do so and if the law requires or allows us to.  

We only keep this data for the time specified in our retention schedule or as required by law. This includes a secure off site data storage facility.

Your personal data is processed (including storage) within the European Economic Area only.

Data protection law provides you with certain rights. Not all of these rights will be available to you in all situations, particularly where we process your information as part of one of our statutory duties. Where we are under a legal duty to use data for a particular purpose you will not have the right to prevent it being used in that way.

A full list of the rights you may have, under data protection law, is given in the 'Your Rights' section on Data Protection - Privacy Notices.

For specific enquiries regarding personal data which we process you can contact the Data Protection Officer on email or at Civic Centre, Riverside, Stafford ST16 3AQ.

If you wish to complain about how your personal information has been handled by Cannock Chase Council then please contact the Information Manager in the first instance using the details above. If you are not satisfied you can submit a formal complaint to the council (Cannock Chase Council).

Finally you can complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office at: The Information Commissioner’s Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF, Tel: 0303 123 1113 or you can visit their website at

Details of how we handle your personal information (Cannock Chase Council).

For any general enquiries you can contact the council by phone on 01543 462621, via email or by writing to us at Civic Centre, Cannock Chase Council, Beecroft Road, Cannock, WS11 1BG. 


Tel: 01785 619340

How Do You Rate This Page?

A to Z of Services