At Stafford Borough Council we take your privacy seriously and will only keep and use your personal information for reasons that the law requires or allows. We are a data controller for the personal information we hold about you in relation to the processing and renewals of your Licenses. In order to comply with data protection legislation we want to be sure you understand how we use this information.
The purposes for which your data will be used
The following lists our licensing areas and therefore not all will apply to your particular licensing application/renewal. Exact information collected will depend upon the licence applied for and will appear on your application form. The information is required to allow us to process and issue you with the relevant licence and will be used:
- To establish your identity and date of birth.
- To confirm your current address.
- To establish the Right to Work in the UK.
- To confirm the name and address of premises being used.
- To establish whether you have any unspent convictions for a relevant offence.
- Disclosure of convictions declaration.
The legal basis for the processing is necessary for the compliance with a legal obligation. The following legal bases are used:
- The Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982
- Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976.
- The Animal Welfare Act 2006
- Animal Welfare (Licensing of Activities Involving Animals) (England) Regulations 2018
- Licensing Act 2003
- Lotteries and Amusement Act 1976
- Zoo Licensing Act 1981
- House to House Collections Act 1939
- Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013
We may share your information with the following in order to ensure public safety, protect public funds and for the prevention and detection of crime:
- Public Register - Licensed premises only, with the Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS) listed.
- The Home Office
- Other Government agencies, Public bodies such as the Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service, other Council departments and Enforcement agencies, when required and is necessary.
- National Fraud Initiative - Personal Licenses only.
Stafford Borough Council is required by law to protect the public funds it administers. It may share information provided to it with other bodies responsible for; auditing, or administering public funds, or where undertaking a public function, in order to prevent and detect fraud.
The Cabinet Office is responsible for carrying out data matching exercises.
The use of data by the Cabinet Office in a data matching exercise is carried out with statutory authority under Part 6 of the Local Audit and Accountability Act 2014. Data matching by the Cabinet Office is subject to a Code of Practice.
- Otherwise, we will only share your data if you ask us to, or if the law requires or allows us to.
We only keep this data for the time specified in our retention schedule or as required by law.
Data protection law provides you with certain rights, however not all of these rights will be available to you in all situations, particularly where we process your information as part of one of our statutory duties. Where we are under a legal duty to use data for a particular purpose you will not have the right to prevent it being used in that way.
A full list of the rights you may have, under data protection law, is given in the 'Your Rights' section of this webpage.
For specific enquiries regarding personal data which we process you can contact the Data Protection Officer on email: email@example.com or at Civic Centre, Riverside, Stafford ST16 3AQ.
If you wish to complain about how your personal information has been handled by Stafford Borough Council then please contact the Data Protection Officer in the first instance using the details above. If you are not satisfied you can submit a formal complaint to the Council via our Complaints webpage.
Finally you can complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office at: The Information Commissioner’s Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF, Tel: 0303 123 1113 or you can visit their website at ico.org.uk.
You can also find details of how we handle your personal information by visiting