'Our aim is to protect the health, safety, economic and environmental well being and quality of life of the community.'
Please click on the links below to find out more about these services:
We want to ensure satisfactory standards of safety, care and welfare for animals at premises where the Council has enforcement responsibilities. To do this we:
- Investigate complaints about these premises
- Provide advice about the law and good practice
- Licence the keeping of dangerous wild animals
Contact us if you are concerned about the conditions at a pet shop, pet boarding premises or riding school.
To ensure that dogs are properly controlled within the Borough, we:
- Deal with stray and abandoned
- Receive and take to kennels stray dogs brought to us
- Promote responsible dog ownership
Contact us if your dog has gone missing or if you have any concerns about dogs wandering the street or dog fouling.
We want to improve the health of the people of the Borough, so we:
- Establish partnerships with other organisations to develop health strategies and raise awareness of health related issues
- Stage and participate in events and campaigns dealing with health issues such as drug abuse, smoking, water safety, coronary heart disease, mental health, and accident prevention
- Distribute publicity material to inform about healthy living
Contact us if you want us to contribute to your health promotion event or if you are interested in any other presentations we provide.
Visit our Health and Wellbeing webpage
We want to improve the standard of housing of people who live in the Borough and the surrounding environment. To do this we:
- Identify areas of housing that need special attention
- Inspect hostels, bed-sits and houses in multiple occupation to ensure they are not overcrowded and are fit to live in
- Investigate problems with private sewerage systems
- Deal with complaints or enquiries about housing conditions
- Deal with complaints about public health nuisances, such as accumulation of refuse or filthy premises
- Provide advice and information on Home Energy Efficiency
- Monitor the quality of drinking water supplies
Contact us if you are concerned about the condition of your house of flat or require home energy efficiency advice.
We want to ensure that food manufactured or sold in the Borough is safe to eat and prepared by suitably trained people, so we:
- Inspect food businesses regularly
- Investigate complaints about food products or businesses
- Provide Food Hygiene Training course and lectures
- Provide advice on food hygiene law and good practice
- Carry out food sampling and bacteriological analysis
- Take part in events to raise awareness of food safety issues
- Investigate cases of food poisoning and food borne illness
Contact us if you own or are considering setting up a food business, are looking for advice on food safety or have any concerns about the condition of the food business you have visited or the safety of food you have bought or eaten.
We want to ensure safe, healthy conditions for people working at or visiting businesses where the Council has enforcement responsibilities. To do this we:
- Inspect work places regularly
- Investigate reports of accidents at work
- Investigate complaints about conditions at work places
- Provide training and advice about health and safety
- Licence or register premises offering treatments such as acupuncture, ear piercing and tattooing
- Monitor water quality of swimming or therapeutic pools
- License certain premises
Contact us if you require advice or are concerned about:
- Conditions at your place of work or business you visit
- Hygiene standards where skin piercing or beauty treatment are carried out the condition of water at a swimming pool.
We intend to improve the quality of the air in the Borough and to minimise pollution by noise. To do this we:
- Monitor air pollution and background radiation levels
- Regulate industrial processes where the Borough Council is the enforcing authority for air pollution control
- Deal with complaints regarding noise from business or domestic premises
- Advice on planning applications when noise or emissions to air need consideration
- Investigate and provide advice about contaminated land
Contact us if you any concerns about noise or emissions to air from business or domestic premises or for advice if you own or are considering setting up a business with noise or air emissions.
Please tell us when you are happy with the service. It is important for us to know when we do it right to ensure that standards are maintained. Let us know if you have any comments or suggestions on how we can improve the service.
If for any reason you are not satisfied with the way in which your problems are being handled or the way in which you have been treated, we will do our best to sort it out as quickly as possible. You can make a complaint by contacting the service manager by phoning the number shown against the service heading or by letter. We will send a written acknowledgement within five days and your complaint will be investigated as soon as possible. We will let you know the outcome or advise you of progress within 28 days.
If you are unhappy with the result of the investigation you can write to the Borough Council's Chief Executive. He will ensure that members of his Department carry out further investigations.
Write to: Tim Clegg, Chief Executive, Compliments, Comments and Complaints, Stafford Borough Council, Civic Centre, Riverside, Stafford. ST16 3AQ
You may still complain to the Local Government Ombudsman. Leaflets explaining how to complain are available at reception or we will send you one on request.